IN BUSINESS LESSON PLAN
Teachers - introduce this unit by asking the students to brainstorm jobs that are part of the broad term called the "business world." Attached is an article on "Careers in Business" to handout to the students. This is an introduction and basic outline of several business careers.
Overview of Careers:
1. Accounting - how businesses track their income and assets. Accountants are very involved in the recording of day-to-day business transactions, preparation of financial statements, tax strategies, tracking company financial performance and strategizing for growth and quality management.
2. Finance - examples include commercial banking, corporate finance, real estate, money management, insurance, financial planning, and investment banking.
3. Marketing - examples include careers in advertising and public relations, product management and development, retailing, and market research.
4. Consulting - work in a variety of areas and advise clients how to run their business and solve problems.
5. Non-Profit - while most businesses are established as "for-profit", an estimated 20% of economic activity in the U.S. are produced by non-profit organizations.
Lesson Printable Materials -
Print out the following pages for
use with this lesson:
Do you have a recommendation for an enhancement to this
career lesson, or do you have an idea for a new
lesson? Then leave us a
Back to more
Career Planning and Career Exploration Lessons
Career, Job, and Business Skills Lessons
To teach and learn money skills, personal finance, money management, business,
careers, and life skills please go to the Money
Instructor home page.