MATH LESSON PLAN
1. Warm-up: Review how to solve algebraic equations in one variable.
2. Motivate the Lesson: Ask the students if they know how their cell phone bill is calculated. What is the bill based on? Are there fixed fees and variable fees? Tell students that you can apply algebraic equations to solve many real word problems.
Some problems, such as tip on a meal, are calculated every day. We normally calculate these in our heads, but are actually using an algebraic equation to solve the problem.
3. Proceed with the “Question of the Day”. Explain that you are going to solve real world problems by using algebra.
4. Verify that the students understand the following tasks:
- How do define a variable
- How to identify the fixed, variable, and final amounts
- How to create an algebraic equation
- How to solve the algebraic equation
NOTE: Emphasize the fact that you need “units” with your answer.
5. Have the students complete the “Business Decisions Worksheet” for homework.
Lesson Printable Materials -
Print out the teaching lesson pages and
exercise worksheets for
use with this lesson: